Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Home Recent Topics HelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
That's it. It's too quiet (Read 6684 times)
Feebletodix
Lieutenant Grump

GOMC is Back

Re: That's it. It's too quiet
Reply #45 - Dec 22nd, 2017, 10:43am

In this last year the German's have finally finished their very expensive new auditorium. Massively over budget and late, but very nice right next to the working docks. During the opening evening performance there were cameras watching the audience. The following day the BBC broadcast a clip of the elite of German society. This is a still taken by me from the broadcast. I draw your attention to the gentleman? on the right of the picture. Shocked Roll Eyes Embarrassed Grin Grin Grin
#GermanPicker
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2017, 10:46am by Feebletodix »  

Weaponsmith to the demi-gods from the plane of silliness.

IP Logged

Feebletodix
Lieutenant Grump

GOMC is Back

Reply #46 - Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:07am

I have found out that Google no longer looks at this site. It seems that there is a switch that needs to be toggled to let Google in. Would a moderator please have a look.

On another matter, Hans it sems cannot be bothered with this place anymore. He is posting elsewhere but cannot find it in himself to post a message saying thanks for the box of stamps I sent him in August. I also know he is ignoring a couple of ladies who were showing concern by trying to keep in phone contact. Whomever sees him in person next, would they please let him know his bad manners are unacceptable.

Gavin E

IP Logged

cuzzie

I collect Sarawak amongst
others.
Perth WA
Reply #47 - Jan 31st, 2018, 4:57am

Maybe Hans is sick of this site just as I am because you seem to have taken it over with posts of little interest to real philatelists. Or maybe he is just sick.
Why don't you use 'Facebook' or other public medium to talk about your woes and leave this site to get back to the interests of stamp collectors.
I've logged on here every few weeks for the past year and found it totally boring, mostly because of your scans of mundane items.

I write this with no vindictiveness but just a hope that you understand that you may be part of the problem.

Anyone have anything philatelic to discuss?
Is there anybody else out there still?

Smiley

I refuse to enter into a battle of wits with anyone who tries to enter unarmed

IP Logged

Feebletodix
Lieutenant Grump

GOMC is Back

Reply #48 - Jan 31st, 2018, 10:33am

Thank you for your honest opinion cuzzie.

I would just like to point out there is no excuse for not saying thank you!

Regarding your not vindictive post. Rubbish, that is you trying to provoke because you are upset that your chum Hans has just been called out in public for bad manners.

It is rather interesting that you say the items I am posting are not of interest and suggest that nothing I have posted in the last year has been of philatelic interest. Current views on the postcards stand at 50K+ or my matchbox thread that stands at 57K+.

Now if you still feel that nothing of philatelic interest has been posted. Then you have not been paying attention, for example the POW's inter barracks stamps or perhaps you missed the PPI topics, or the censored marking on the postcards recently. Or the lovely ladies on cards which would interest Hans, d'Oh is that too boring for you.

Let me put it simply for you cuzzie,

Don't complain, contribute.

IP Logged

cuzzie

others.
Perth WA
Reply #49 - Jan 31st, 2018, 2:57pm

Hans is not a 'chum' of mine at all. Don't know the man and have never met him.

Sorry you haven't quite understood my message.

Cheers -  Smiley

IP Logged

Feebletodix
Lieutenant Grump

GOMC is Back

Reply #50 - Feb 2nd, 2018, 7:53am

You made yourself perfectly clear.

You are sick, bored and expect everyone else to provide entertainment for you and I am to leave the site because what I have been posting is not of philatelic value.

If your are so sick of this site and cannot be bothered to contribute anything other than a poor attempt at trolling don't let the door hit you on the way out.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2018, 9:24am by Feebletodix »  

IP Logged

cuzzie

others.
Perth WA
Reply #51 - Feb 2nd, 2018, 1:30pm

Charming!

IP Logged

Feebletodix
Lieutenant Grump

GOMC is Back

Reply #52 - Feb 2nd, 2018, 7:55pm

I was considering whether or not to continue posting here until I read this post of yours

cuzzie wrote on Jan 31st, 2018, 4:57am:
Maybe Hans is sick of this site just as I am because you seem to have taken it over with posts of little interest to real philatelists. Or maybe he is just sick.
Why don't you use 'Facebook' or other public medium to talk about your woes and leave this site to get back to the interests of stamp collectors.
I've logged on here every few weeks for the past year and found it totally boring, mostly because of your scans of mundane items.

I write this with no vindictiveness but just a hope that you understand that you may be part of the problem.

Anyone have anything philatelic to discuss?
Is there anybody else out there still?

Smiley

This must be opposed and the best way to do that is to continue.

Read this, http://www.thegomc.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1404570126;start=15;action=thre...

IP Logged

Sherro
Lieutenant Grump

Melbourne
Reply #53 - Feb 8th, 2018, 10:17am

Now now kiddies, play nicely.

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm the last of the original members of the GOMC (which doesn't augur well for my longevity  Shocked Shocked ). After Ron, Bill, Tony and Laurence passed away, I actually found it too hard to be here. The wit and banter of these guys is still here to be read, which is difficult for some of us. That, in a nutshell, is why I haven't been here often.

I have met Hans, and I know him, although we haven't corresponded in a while. I know he's been very, very unwell. I also know he's a gentleman, and if he hasn't responded, it will be an oversight.

I hereby pledge to start posting stuff Smiley

Cheers
Dave

IP Logged

cuzzie

others.
Perth WA
Reply #54 - Feb 9th, 2018, 5:55am

Nice to hear from you Dave.
I was in the habit of checking in every month or so and used the "10 most recent posts" to see what was happening.
All I got was mostly pics I had little interest in, mostly by the same person - hence my earlier query as I thought it a shame that what used to be an interesting site seemed to be dying. I suppose the fact that nobody else seemed to comment on my query means that most of the old contributors don't even check in any more.

Living in the West, I seem to miss out on stamp news and gossip a lot so I wondered why there has been no reference made to 2 important events of late in Australia. Is this a definitive sign that this forum is dead?
After all, this is basically an Australian site isn't it?

The first is the sudden death of John Leah last October.
John was the founder and editor of the famous magazine "Australian Stamps Professional" a publication that would rival any magazine in the world.
John produced 69 issues under very difficult odds and proved all his critics wrong.
Not only were his articles very interesting but he attracted expert articles on early Australian stamps that will remain the standard reference for future collectors.
RIP John, you should be entered in the Australian Philatelic Hall of Fame.

The second is the sudden demise of Mossgreen Auction House.
As most will know, Mossgreen bought out Prestige Auctions and Lesky Auctions just a few years ago and now has collapsed owing over $12 million dollars.

What are the odds that Gary Watson will start up Prestige again, perhaps under a different name. My odds would be around $1.08 about the same as Winx winning its next race???

Hope someone from the Eastern states, who would know more, can comment.  Sad

IP Logged

Sherro
Lieutenant Grump

Melbourne
Reply #55 - Feb 9th, 2018, 7:18am

Hi Cuzzie,

I actually didn't know that John Leah had passed away! I don't subscribe to anywhere that could have told me the news.

I met him at Melbourne 2013, where he took my photo for a collector profile piece which never saw the light of day. I wasn't a huge fan of his publication, but I admired his grit in carrying on under fire from people who should have known better.

As for Mossgreen, I'm actually pleased that they've folded, although I have great sympathy for unpaid vendors. I've sold through Gary at both Prestige and Mossgreen, and Prestige paid me faster!!

Because it was primarily an arthouse, the whole Mossgreen setup was a bit wanky (excuse the french). Pretty people everywhere, who all seemed to look terribly busy doing nothing.

Will Gary revive Prestige? I hope so.

IP Logged

Feebletodix
Lieutenant Grump

GOMC is Back

Reply #56 - Feb 9th, 2018, 9:38am

Sherro wrote on Feb 8th, 2018, 10:17am:
Now now kiddies, play nicely.

Cheers
Dave

I was, still am and always will. However I will not be bullied by the likes of cuzzie. Opened his mouth and a bad attitude came out without making sure of his facts first.

The reason my posts are here is because no one else was posting, it will not be left to fade away. Previously I made an offer to take over the site at Tony's passing and it is still open. There is much here worth saving.

It would be good if the rest of the members bestirred themselves and began to contribute.

On one other matter, this is not 'an Australian site'. That is close to showing an anti-social attitude towards anyone not Autralian. This site was designed to be open to all hence there are members from many other countries. Included was the belief that free speech is a fundamental right.

Dave, I hope we can make this place a little less painful to visit and more fun. Be well

IP Logged

Sherro
Lieutenant Grump

Melbourne
Reply #57 - Feb 9th, 2018, 10:07am

Bang on. The Grumpies is only an Australian board inasmuch as it was created here by Australians. We have members around the globe.

The free speech point is also correct. When the board was created, many of us were having poor experiences elsewhere, so a freer, more open, environment was created.

The more posts we make, on more subjects, other members will receive more emails, and may come back on board. I promote the site on my FB page and will keep posting

IP Logged

Stamppad1

GOMC is Back
Coffs Harbour Australia
Reply #58 - Feb 10th, 2018, 1:49am

I too was shocked and saddened to read of the sudden passing of John Leah in the ASP magazine. I always found him friendly and humble and I am glad that it appears that the magazine is apparently going to continue. I have supported the magazine since I first discovered it and treasure my back copies as references.
I was surprised that there was no mention here previously given that there is at least one member who is a major contributor. I didn't expect to see tributes elsewhere of course and thought that the reason there was no mention here was that people may have been afraid to upset you know who.

On another note, I also vow to try and post more often.

IP Logged

Sherro
Lieutenant Grump

Melbourne
Reply #59 - Feb 10th, 2018, 1:55am

We're long past upsetting you know who  Grin Grin

It simply passed us (or me at least) by.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print